Saturday, July 16, 2011

Not as weird as I thought

Overall, Japan is not as strange as I thought it would be. People who are obsessed with anime are actually called otaku, and somewhat shunned. I think the closest english translation would be trekkie. Many of my labmates thought I would be otaku when I came because that is common for americans coming to Japan. Upon confirming that I am not otaku they replied, 'oh, ok, you are normal.' Being obsessed with anime is not actually that popular here. Most of what we see of japan is the abnormal, but really the country as a whole isn't that strange. America has all sorts of crazy people too (like birthers, for instance). That being said, I did manage to find a vending machine that sells used panties. 


These are actually hard to come by, but they do exist. 

I also ventured into a cat cafe. This is where people pay by the hour to be around cats. Pets are very uncommon in Tokyo so this gives people a chance to pet, feed, and in general be in the vicinity of feline company. If you prefer the company of a dog you can rent one at the park and spend the afternoon with it. 

Gotta LoL-caption 'em all!

My favorite of the bunch. 

But not all are pretty.

So as a whole Tokyo isn't that weird. Apart from a few random vending machines and some strange cafes (I haven't even talked about the panties cafes yet), it is pretty much normal. 

Also, this.




No comments:

Post a Comment